PAINT DULUTH 3
A Plein Air adventure held in Duluth, GA.
Paint Duluth 3 is a juried “pléin air” adventure in its third year. The event is held in beautiful Duluth, GA. Artist meet in downtown Duluth, then spread out around the area painting outside for three days. In just three days they create some beautiful paintings of the Duluth area. The date for Paint Duluth 3 is Friday, May 11, Saturday, May 12, Sunday, May 13, 2018. We are also offering two optional workshops on Wednesday and Thursday, before the three-day event begins. This year we expect close to 100 artists and hundreds of on lookers.
Established in 1868, Duluth is a cozy northeastern suburb of Atlanta, located just 35 minutes from downtown Atlanta. It’s a southern gem with a heart for the arts. Duluth is going through a growth explosion. Painted bicycle racks, a 10-figure bronze sculpture and kinetic sculpture have been installed. In addition, the city has added some wonderful new restaurants, shops, luxury apartments and townhomes, with more on the way.
Paint Duluth 3 will give artists the opportunity to:
- Meet and paint with other plein air painters
- Improve their pléin air painting skills at two workshops.
- Participate in a “one hour quick draw”
- Paint beautiful old southern homes
- Paint historic downtown Duluth
- Paint the Duluth City Hall and town green
- Paint The Southeastern Railway Museum features 90 items of rolling stock, including historic Pullman cars and classic steam locomotives
- Paint a historic railroad station
- Paint the Chattahoochee river with tubers, rafters and fly-fishermen
- Paint McDaniel’s Farm (An old cotton plantation)
- Paint nearby farms with cattle, hay bales and old barns
- Paint a live model.
- Receive food discounts from local restaurants
- Compete for $2,500 in awards.
- Attend an artist awards program and reception Sunday afternoon. 6pm until 8pm.
- Hang up to three pieces of art in the show. The show will be up for one week.
Workshop 1 – With David Boyd, Jr. Wednesday, May 9
Workshop 2 -With Nancy Nowak, Thursday, May 10
Plein Air Event – Friday, May 11, Saturday, May 12, Sunday, May 13, 2018
One-Hour-Quick Paint – 9am, Saturday, May 12. Charles Cashwell will be judging
Turn in up to 3 pieces for judging Sunday, May 13, 3pm.
Artist Reception and Awards Show. Sunday, May 13, 6pm until 8pm
Show will hang for one week. From Sunday, May 13, until end-of-day Saturday, May 19.
1. Artists must be 18 years and older.
2. Oil, acrylic, watercolors and pastel mediums are acceptable.
3. All canvases, panels and watercolor paper must be pre-stamped with the Paint Duluth 2018 mark to qualify for judging.
4. Artists may register and have their material stamped, Friday morning or Saturday zmorning at 8am. Registration will be at 2 Smith Art Gallery, 3150 Main Street, Suite 105, Duluth, GA 30096. Phone 404.996.8922 or Larry Smiths cell phone 404.314.3669.
5. Artists are to stay in an area “roughly” five miles from the City Hall in Duluth,GA.
6. Artists are encouraged to wear their name badges at all times.
7. We are asking all artists not to park on Main Street in front of the stores. The merchants love to have you paint their store fronts. There is ample “free” parking throughout the Historic Downtown Duluth area.
8. With your name badge artists will receive free admission to the Southeastern Railway Museum. 3595 Buford Hwy, Duluth, GA 30096 (Across from Howard Brothers Ace Hardware).
9. Artists may present up to three framed entries at 3:00pm Sunday, May 13 for judging.
10. All entries submitted for judging must be ready to hang with wire on back of frames.
11. Each entry will need to be named and priced at time of hanging. (Not For Sale is acceptable.)
12. Judging is Sunday afternoon.
13. Awards are presented at 5:30pm Sunday, May 13.
14. A reception with wine and hors d’ oeuvres will be served from 6pm until 8pm.
15. The show will be open through out the following week to the public from 11am until 5pm, Monday, May 14 through Saturday, May 19.
16. Artists are encouraged to promote and invite their friends to attend the reception and the sale of the work. We will give each artists cards to give to curious people and friends to promote the event.
17 Artists receive 70% from the sale of the work. Paint Duluth receives 30%.
18. Artists are required to leave their art hanging for one week.
19. Artists must pick their work up Monday, May 21. 11am until 5pm at 2 Smith Art Gallery.
Sales and showing of art.
This event is a fundraiser for the Duluth Arts Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit. The display and sale of all art will be at Adrian Collaborative 3150 Main Street, Suite 103, Duluth, GA 30096 – in the heart of Duluth. An awards show and reception will be held on the last day of the event. Sunday, May 13. The work will be on display and for sale for the following week – Monday, May 14, 11:00am until 5:00pm until Saturday, May 19, 1:00pm until 5:00pm.
70% of the art sales proceeds goes to the artists. 30% goes to the Duluth Arts Foundation.
All art must be picked up no later than 5:00pm on Monday, May 20.
Quick-Draw Competition Award-($250 Gift Certificate from JFM Enterprises)
Best of Show -$750
5 Merit Awards – $500 total ($100 each)
People’s Choice Award-$200 (Sponsored by Binders in Buckhead)
Questions?: Call Larry Smith @404.314.3669